Collie recently assisted Stockland in obtaining planning approval for 35 double-storey townhouses in Highlands, Craigieburn. The development which is located to the west of Aitken Boulevard is effectively an extension to ‘Eastside’, a 198-dwelling development which is under construction and directly adjoins the 35 townhouses to the north.
The townhouses will be well serviced with the Craigieburn Town Centre opposite to the east and the Craigieburn Primary Medical Centre located adjacent to the development to the south. Other facilities and services that are also within walking distance of the development include the Hume Global Learning Centre and Library to the south, Craigieburn Junction to the south and ANZAC Park to the east which includes an Aquatic and Leisure Centre and the Craigieburn Regional Athletics Track.
It is expected that the townhouses will attract small families, couples and those wishing to downsize and will contribute to providing a diversity of housing types in Craigieburn. In addition, the townhouses will provide a more affordable housing option including for first home buyers.
The Collie role on the project was to provide town planning services which included:
- advising on the development potential of the site including the likely built form and siting provisions;
- reviewing draft architectural plans and advising on changes to the design to increase liveability, compliance and the likelihood of Hume City Council (Council) supporting the application;
- advising on the supporting material required to accompany the planning permit application;
- reviewing expert documents prepared by others;
- preparing a detailed town planning report including an assessment of each dwelling against clause 55 of the Hume Planning Scheme;
- extensive liaison with the project team and Council.
Collie look forward to the completion of this project as it will provide an opportunity for a large number of residents to live in a part of Craigeburn where proximity to services will encourage a healthy and active lifestyle.