he wharf situated at Seafarers Rest at the western end of Flinders Street, next to the historic Mission to Seafarers building is about to be revamped into an exciting new green space in collaboration with the City of Melbourne and the Victorian Government.
The 3,500 square metre park will be located on the north bank of the Yarra River. It will include six key areas:
- The River Lawns – lawn space which will connect the park to the river promenade with a series of paths to increase pedestrian and bicycle access.
- The Play Wharf – a play space for children.
- The Events Deck – an open space to accommodate gatherings and events.
- The Crates – a seating space that will frame the Events Deck.
- The Urban Forest – a green space to border the park with shaded areas and dog-friendly access.
Collie welcomes the re-development of an unused urban space into a new haven where residents and workers can enjoy recreation and relaxation whilst also accommodating pedestrians and cycle commuters. It will be interesting to see if the sunshine/shade reflects reality when completed.
Images courtesy of City of Melbourne